These fall-themed slice and bake shortbread cookies are flavored with pumpkin and spices! Ideal for Thanksgiving, Christmas or any day you need a simple, scrumptious cookie. Gluten or dairy free? Use our suggested swaps, below. You can either chill the logs of dough, slice and bake, or wrap in plastic and freeze for future cookie cravings!
- 2 ¼ cups Unbleached White All-Purpose Flour or Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour
- 2–4 tbsp additional Flour, as needed
- ½ cup Chopped Pecans
- 2 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
- ½ tsp Kosher Salt
- ¼ tsp Baking Soda
- 1 cup Butter or Non-Dairy Alternative, room temperature
- ¾ cup Granulated Sugar
- ¼ cup Brown Sugar
- ¼ cup Pumpkin Puree
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, pecans, spices, salt and baking soda; set aside. Combine butter, sugars, pumpkin puree and vanilla and mix until well combined and just fluffy, about 7 minutes. Add dry ingredients to butter mixture and mix until evenly combined, about 2 minutes.
- Turn dough out onto an 11 x 17-inch piece of parchment or waxed paper. Shape into a solid 17-inch log, about 1 ½ inches in diameter and in any shape you choose. Wrap in parchment or waxed paper and chill at least 2 hours or up to 2 days.
- To bake, preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Slice the cookies ¼-inch thick. Space on the prepared baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. Bake until the centers are set and the edges are just beginning to color, 8–12 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely before decorating and/or enjoying.
Frontier Co-op Pumpkin Pie Spice 1.72 oz.$5.78 Add to Cart
Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free All-Purpose Baking Flour 22 oz. bag$7.27 Add to Cart
Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Light Brown Sugar 24 oz.$7.05 Add to Cart
Wholesome Sweeteners Sugar Raw Cane Sugar 24 oz.$6.49 Add to Cart
Simply Organic Pure Vanilla Extract 4 fl. oz.$23.79 Add to Cart