Here are 5 Way to Use Coconut Oil to Pamper You and Your Baby
- Rich in essential fatty acids and proteins, coconut oil nourishes and gently moisturizes skin. Your baby’s skin is more delicate because it’s brand new, thinner, more sensitive, and produces fewer moisturizing oils. Creams and lotions are designed to help moisturize the top most layer of skin. Some studies have shown that when coconut oil is applied externally it may have deeper benefits while still increasing hydration and helping to reduce water loss in very dry skin.
- Infant massage is one of the most rewarding ways to bond with your baby. This time-honored technique helps soothe and relax babies while helping parents become more confident in understanding their child’s needs. Infant massage also has numerous physical benefits for babies, from alleviating colic to promoting better sleep to boosting the immune system. Using coconut oil while massaging your baby is an easy way to increase the benefits by helping add hydration to the skin.
- Coconut oil has a high moisture retaining capacity, which helps keep hair moist and soft. Using coconut oil on your hair can help reduce protein loss in both damaged and undamaged hair. You can use coconut oil in your hair to condition, style, treat dryness, tame frizz, or prevent dandruff. For babies, coconut oil can be used as a treatment underneath their locks to help with the symptoms of cradle cap, a common rash that causes crusty, oily, or scaly patches on a baby’s scalp. After applying coconut oil to your baby’s scalp, rinse after 20 minutes. Use a soft brush to gently comb their hair and remove any loose flakes.
- You can make the most of bath time by adding a scoop of coconut oil to your soak or to your baby’s. Coconut oil is chock full of saturated fats with a high amount of medium chain fatty acids like lauric acid. With its moisturizing properties, coconut oil helps soften skin and may help soothe irritated skin.
Soothing Teething Pain and Teeth Whitening
- Most babies will start teething during their first year, typically around six months. Teething can make babies act fussy, lose sleep, and feel downright cranky. Applying coconut oil directly on their gums or on a teething toy can help relieve your baby’s discomfort as coconut oil may help soothe inflammation. As always, check with your child’s pediatrician before trying any home remedy. For parents, you can use coconut oil to help whiten your teeth – just swish about one tablespoon of oil around in your mouth for 10 to 20 minutes before rinsing with water.