recipe by Frontier Co-op
This natural soft drink gets its fruity tang and brilliant red color from hibiscus blossoms and dried cherries.
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup dried cherries, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces (do not use vegetable-oil-treated cherries)
- 1 tablespoon Frontier Co-op Wild Cherry Bark
- 1/4 cup Frontier Co-op Hibiscus Flowers
- 2 cups Frontier Co-op Organic, Fair Trade Cane Sugar
- Sparkling water
- Place water in pan and add dried cherries and wild cherry bark.
- Bring pot to boil, reduce to simmer, cover and let simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Turn off heat, add hibiscus flowers and sugar and stir until dissolved. Cover and let steep until cool, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Strain liquid through a fine mesh sieve, then through one or more coffee filters into a clean, sterile jar.
- To mix ale, use a 1:6 ratio of concentrate to sparkling water. Adjust ratio for more or less sweetness according to your personal dietary preferences and desired taste.
For an even prettier presentation, garnish drink with whole frozen, pitted cherries.
Store concentrated extract in refrigerator for up to three months.